Wednesday 9 November 2011

OUGD403: PROVERBALLY YOURS// MESSAGE & DELIVERY

For this brief we had to design something that linked in with our previous brief (three proverb posters)  We had to take our proverb, mine being 'Laughter is the best medicine', and deliver the message in the tone of voice of the occupation we got given, my occupation was a hairdresser.  These are basic first thought ideas and sketches that i've put down, including some facts about my occupation:
-In Russia there are hairdressing salons which are open 24 hours a day
-Average salary for a hairdresser in the UK: £19,492
-In Canada 75% of hairdressers are female
-Most hairdressers in Spain wear a uniform
To generate some ideas and think of basic symbols that could signify a hairdresser I drew up some quick initial symbols:

format planning:


My first initial idea was to either make a postcard or a poster with various stereotypical bad hair cuts such as a mullet or a comb over, using the same colours as my proverb posters, black, white and orange.  I was planning on drawing nine haircuts in total and then at the bottom of the poster/postcard have a caption reading: 'Bad haircut? Laughter is the best medicine!'  I find the problem with this idea is that I can't think of any immediate contacts to send out my postcard too.

This is a rough sketch of some haircuts I found, a basic idea of what the final product could look like?
I decided to try and do this project on illustrator, this was a quick try i had on a hairstyle I sketched out:

After showing this idea at the crit  we discussed various ideas such as something that would have more purpose and possibilities of format and colour.  Eventually we came up with linking my occupation and proverb to 'movember' as it was the perfect time to.

I went through a couple of ideas before deciding on a final one.  One of my first ideas that came to mind when doing Movember was to have photographs of iconic figures on a poster and then to roughly sketch funny looking moustaches on each of them to promote the charity, I did a few quick mock ups but decided against it in the end:


Design sheet for new idea:


No comments:

Post a Comment