Wednesday 16 May 2012

OUGD406 EVALUATION

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
I feel in this module I have developed my design skills /practice massively in comparison to OUGD403, just with designing on software I feel I have improved visually, comparing my rain posters or 'its your choice' to the proverbally yours or the type face I created in the first module looks as though I've made some progress.  I also feel due to the 'Stamp it' brief i have been able to communicate a serious issue/topic through design.  This was something that needed to be addressed by doing research and trying to fit an informative and educational message that looked visually appealing on to a stamp.  I think the 'Com is a Virus' brief helped me to work more successfully as a team and taught a new approach to communicating through design.
2. What approaches to/ methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
The 'Com is a Virus' brief was something I felt helped to use design in an effective way, it was more about getting the message out there and then about the design.  This module has shown me I am more confident on Illustrator than I was at the very start.  I can produce work on their quicker than I could do at the beginning and feel more at ease using it.
3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
In this module I thought my rain posters turned out better than expected in the end.  I liked that I could use some of my photography to design some of my work.  Using photography in graphic design is something I've wanted to do and always been interested in but my lack of photoshop skills lets me down on this.  I didn't think my stamps would turn out well at all, I think there are design aspects of the stamps I would change but I feel like I delivered the message and designed on a small scale which I thought would of been difficult to do.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
I think the communication is a virus was something that we had a few difficulties with at first because we kept changing our ideas and started with the designing a bit later than we should of to get our message out there.  I think in the end it worked out well and the message was sent out successfully.  One thing that I think let me down with the module was the 'Its your choice' brief, it took me ages to come up with something I wanted to do and to think of something I'd like to do to improve the final outcome.  Because of this lack of time it obviously effected my final piece.  I really liked the idea of looking at Swahili proverbs and was excited to look into it further.  However when I started designing and things didn't go the way I wanted I'd ran out of time to take things further and felt like i didn't do the best I could of done with it.  This is about time management and trying to juggle various briefs at once which is something I need to improve on for next year.
5. Identify 5 things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
-Give myself more time for designing, I always spend too long thinking of an idea and don't leave myself long enough to experiment with different techniques or improve on the final outcome.
-I need to work more on my annotation of blogging.  I feel like I could explain my thought process better as I go along.
-I will balance my time and briefs more effectively- all about time management 
-Think ahead, book print slots in advance, laser cutting/screen printing/ book binding etc. all before I realise its too late to actually use any of these techniques for a brief.
-Be more prepared for crits to get good feedback to enable me to carry out my ideas to the best possible solution.
6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
Attendance: 3
Punctuality: 4
Motivation: 3
Commitment: 4
Quantity of work produced: 3
Quality of work produced: 3
Contribution to the group: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment