Thursday 3 May 2012

OUGD406//IT'S YOUR CHOICE//INITIAL IDEA


BRIEF

Select a brief, task, response or product that you have completed as part of the programme and improve on it. What will choose & why? How will you improve it and for what reason?
Review all the work, tasks and workshops that you have been involved in since september and identify an opportunity to revisit something that you wish you had more time to complete, could change the decisions that you made or should have researched / developed more thoroughly. You can only select from briefs that you have completed and not those that are currently under development.

Background / Considerations
What we are asking you to do is simple - that doesn't make it easy.
This brief is offering you the benefit of Hind-sight, a second chance or another attempt. It is a lifeline to revisit and rescue a good idea from a lack of time, a bad decision in an otherwise promising body of work or an opportunity to take an concept / idea / or product further. How will you make the most of this opportunity.

We are not asking you to just re do a brief. Whatever you choose should act as starting point that offers you the chance to develop a substantial exploration of an problem, idea, concept, process. Can you extend your initial ideas into a range of products, a deeper investigation of context / function / format or review your response to a group project. 


The brief that I want to go back and visit is the THREE POSTERS/PROVERBALLY YOURS:
What are you going to do?
I want to look at the proverbally yours brief, and think about how I can change the outcomes or specific elements to something I want to take further.  I want to create something, not entirely sure what format yet, based on proverbs in general rather than the one specific one we we're given for our three posters.  Proverbs were something that interested me, what they literally mean and how they can be perceived.  This is why Id quite like to focus on Swahili proverbs.  I think this would be a new and interesting approach to the brief, its something that I'm interested in and depending on how successful my final outcome is I think it would work well.  At first I thought there was a possibility that I could have moved too far away from the original brief but Ive taken the main starting point from it and just extended it in a different direction.  I didn't just want to re-do the brief, I wanted to look at it from a completely different angle and I think choosing a language and a culture that is so different from our own would be really interesting.  Not only will I come across proverbs/quotes/sayings that relate to everyone in the same way no matter what language, I'll also come across things that will differ completely because of the big contrast between the culture and lifestyle between a continent like Africa in comparison to Europe.  I still haven't thought about what the final outcome could be possibly a hotdog book of Swahili proverbs or a poster.  I plan to write the proverbs in Swahili for visual aspects but obviously have the english translation. Im slightly concerned that this has travelled in too much of a different direction, in that visually you wouldn't be able to make much link between the two briefs, however I think even though the point of link between the two briefs is isn't completely obvious both briefs focus heavily on the most important part which is proverbs.
Why will you?
Because I think it would be an interesting and unusual approach and something Im interested in that i want to try
How will you improve it?
I think this outcome will progress massively from the three posters I did at the start of the year because those three posters needed a lot of improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment