Friday 15 March 2013

RESPONSIVE//PENGUIN DESIGN AWARDS//DESIGN SHEETS

WIND IN THE WILLOWS DESIGN SHEETS:
I started off brainstorming some initial thoughts and ideas, possible designs such as patterns, places, characters etc.  The most successful ideas, I felt, from looking at previous book covers, are the simplest.  Patterns or characters seemed to work the best, but I wanted to incorporate type in a successful way as the brief mentions this.
Quick ideas:
  • Willow pattern
  • Toad
  • Mole and Ratty in te boat
  • River bank

I liked the idea of having the repeated willow branch as a pattern for the front cover, I thought this could be a simple design that worked well, depending on colour and style of drawing.
These are some sketches of some basic ideas i had for designing, including spine designs.  I thought about having the rowing boat as a basic symbol on the spine along with 'The Wind in the Willows' and the authors name.  Another idea was to create a clipping mask of the letters of the title of the book from the pattern created.

No comments:

Post a Comment