Thursday 14 March 2013

RESPONSIVE//PENGUIN DESIGN AWARDS//PRIMARY BOOK RESEARCH//OUGD503

BOOK RESEARCH: WATERSTONES

I went into Waterstones today to look at the various book cover designs and get some ideas for the type of thing I would like to design for the Wind in the Willows.  I thought the designs for the penguin classics, the contemporary covers worked really well, they looked modern, simple and stylish and communicated the general feel of the book well.

I really like these designs for the Penguin classics, I think the repeated patterns work nicely and look consistent within the set.  I think the colour scheme plays a part in the design success of the books.  Each book sticks to three or four colours, complimenting each other.


The books consist of simple illustrations, quite detailed but simple in the way they are presented across the page, there are patterns I could consider when designing the Wind in the Willows, for example willow branches in a repeated pattern or a toad.



The blurb is a simple design, text centrally aligned, and a boarder of colour matching the dominant colour on the front cover.  When displaying information it benefits being displayed minimally.


Book displayed against others on book shelve, stands out as a more contemporary design.

No comments:

Post a Comment