Monday 6 May 2013

HOW TO...//POSTER DEVELOPMENT//OUGD505

POSTER DEVELOPMENT:
I decided to go with the 'Tetris' concept as I feel this is the strongest in terms of actual concept.  I started coming up with a play on words for the heading/slogan:
  • Change is coming
  • Its taking shape
  • Fill this space
  • Under construction 
  • Drop into this space for...
  • Under construction - changing the shape of design
  • Rotate your piece to fit this space
I wanted the poster to look simple and clean as I felt this best fit the style.  Starting by drawing the basic tetris shapes:
My original idea was to have the poster laid out as though a game of tetris was playing, a wall at the bottom with the shapes falling down into it, on the right hand side a bar keeping score and an image showing the next shape that is to follow.  However, when designing it the poster looked empty and not how I wanted it to.

I then began to lay out the classic tetris shapes in an even grid, taking up the majority of the poster.  Each shape is changed and rotated according to the one previous.
I then started looking at ways I could position the pieces, I tried incorporating the original tetris colours on the poster as I thought this might make it recognisable and in keeping with the classic arcade game.  However, these colours didn't work and made it look too garish.  Another idea was to have each line gradually lowered in opacity until you cannot make out the last line of shapes.
I thought the slogans that would work the best would be 'changing the shape of design,' 'its taking shape' or 'rotate your piece to fit this space.'  I used a standard type face and laid it over the tetris pattern.  I felt like colour needs to be incorporated somehow.
Red works better with black outline of shape:
I think the one on the right works best, the gradual lowered opacity is quite hard to make out after a certain point, especially for a poster.
Shapes filled:
Explanation of what the exhibition is, in a few words:
Final design:
PRINTED:

No comments:

Post a Comment