Friday 14 December 2012

DESIGN FOR PRINT AND WEB//MINOR DIRECTION CHANGE//OUGD504


MINOR IDEA CHANGE:
After looking into further song choices and inspiration I've decided to slightly alter my re written brief.  The main idea will still remain the same involving London Sixties Week, however, instead of promotional material for the event I would like to design merchandise instead.  I think doing this gives my design a broader direction.  Whilst starting to get some basic ideas for my design I realised I wanted to include some historical context in the poster and I wanted my design to be simple.  I wanted to explore the possibilities of exploring type in a subtle way, I felt that if I would of kept my brief to creating promotional material my design would of been limited in terms of what I could of done with type and image and would of been focused too much on advertising London Sixties Week (which would of influenced my design) rather than exploring the songs through design.  I've decided I'm going to create a set of four posters, each poster symbolising one of the Beatles and in specific an album of The Beatles from early sixties to the end of the decade.  Each poster will have a song written/sung by the Beatle (John, George, Paul and Ringo) on the poster and will give information on the background of the song and appropriate imagery and exploring the song through appropriate forms of typography.


NEW RE-WRITTEN BRIEF:

You have been asked to create merchandise for the event, London Sixties Week.  This doesn't necessarily mean promotional material to advertise the event but products that can be distributed at the event itself as independent merchandise.  Although it has to be in keeping with the theme London in the Sixties, the design of the merchandise doesn't have to resemble the design and branding of the official event.  With the main focus being music and lyrics, look at the hits and music of the Sixties and investigate the meaning of the lyrics, work closely with the text and try to consider how you can reflect the songs content through design.  

Go further than just the surface of the words, explore the content, context, meaning, this will involve thorough research into a specific song.  Select songs that can work in a successful way, highlighting the importance of type, however think how you could use image and other aspects of graphic design effectively.  How will you explore the lyrics enough to make it engage with your target audience?


FINAL IDEA:
My final idea is to create a set of four lyrical posters.  As its London Sixties Week, I thought it would be appropriate to do a British band, and the biggest band to come out of the Sixties was the Beatles.  I've thought about each poster focusing mainly on one of the members of the Beatles, the posters will also work as a set.  I have decided to pick songs from four different albums, earlier and later stuff, and each song will of either been written/sung by the member on the poster with the use of appropriate imagery.  There will also be facts and historical context about the song and bits of information on the poster, as well as the song lyrics and imagery.  I think this idea works well as a set and can portray the musical element of London Sixties Week.  My re written brief also supports this as now my poster don't have to be heavily focused on the promotion and advertising of London Sixties Week but can concentrate on the lyrics and type.

The four songs I have chosen to do are:
  • Something - Abbey Road
  • A Day in the Life - Sgt. Peppers
  • Across the Universe - Let it Be
  • Yellow Submarine - Revolver 

No comments:

Post a Comment