Wednesday 19 December 2012

HELLFIRE//LABEL DEVELOPMENT//OUGD503

HELLFIRE BEER LABEL DEVELOPMENT:
I first looked into the type that I wanted for creating the label, I wanted something bold and the obvious, initial colour scheme that came to mind was reds and oranges.  I initially played around with the positioning of the E for a potential logo.  My initial thoughts before giving the label some context was to try and design a native style design, and make a connection with a 'camp fire.'
I created the campfire symbol and changed the logo to a red which is the most obvious connotation of fire.  I also thought that the small line underneath the E gave the brand a native style feel to support the campfire/native style I was going for.
After playing around with the native american/campfire symbolism I decided to do some research into subjects that could give the beer more context.  I started looking at the American Hellfire missile to see whether I could draw any imagery from that.  I thought this could work as visually it could look quite interesting and could appeal to the target audience, with beer appealing to a mostly male audience.  I wanted to do it in quite an illustrative, lined drawing style as the beer is being sold at creative network events.  I also changed the colour to a deeper red as I think it looks better with the lined drawings.

I thought it looked too plain to be a beer label so tried applying a cream stock background to fill the white space.
After getting some feedback I was told it wasn't completely obvious that the drawings looked like missiles so I chose a more detailed image of the missile to see if it would be instantly recognisable.  I do feel like this image is clearer and detailed in design and looks more like a missile from first glance.
developing label:
 Another thing to consider when designing was label shape, I think a wrap around rectangular label probably works better for this design than a circular one:

No comments:

Post a Comment